Koenigsegg and electric car maker NEVS announce technical partnership

NEVS invests €150m to take 20 per cent share in Koenigsegg’s parent company

Legendary hypercar manufacturer Koenigsegg has paired up with fellow Swedish electric car manufacturer NEVS to develop new models of a higher volume and with further emphasis on electrification.

The deal will see NEVS take a 20 per cent minority share in Koenigsegg’s parent company with a €150m (£130m) cash injection. Together, the two companies will form a new joint venture, which will also see NEVS contribute a further $150m (£113m) for a 65 per cent share in the venture, the remaining 35 per cent going to Koenigsegg – made up from its intellectual property, technology licences and product design.

Subscribe to evo magazine

If you're passionate about the world's greatest performance cars, experience the thrill of driving with evo magazine. Try your first 5 issues for £5.

> Click here for our look at the Koenigsegg Regera

What this joint venture will produce is so far unknown, but it will leverage the inherent strengths of both companies to produce electrified performance cars. Koenigsegg will also benefit from the extra manufacturing capacity at NEVS’ production facility in Trollhättan, while maintaining its engineering centre in Ängelholm.

Advertisement
Advertisement - Article continues below

NEVS also has further manufacturing capability within China, and just last week announced its parent company, Evergrande’s, acquisition of Chinese battery manufacturing company, Shanghai CENAT New Energy Co, further closing the supplier loop required to develop and manufacture electric cars.

What does this mean for Koenigsegg’s future hypercars? Aside from the inevitable move towards electrification, something already achieved with the hybridised Regera, Koenigsegg’s core hypercar focus will remain, something that will continue in March this year with a reveal of an all-new replacement for the track-focused Agera known internally as the ‘Ragnarok’.

For now though, Koenigsegg looks to be further cementing its place in the market, diversifying into a new field with strong new partnerships and a welcome injection of cash.

Advertisement

Recommended

Visit/koenigsegg/201797/koenigsegg-regera-sets-new-0-248-0mph-record
Koenigsegg

Koenigsegg Regera sets new 0-248-0mph record 

27 Sep 2019
Visit/hyundai/201854/updated-2020-hyundai-i30-n-spied-before-reveal-early-next-year
Hyundai i30 N

Updated 2020 Hyundai i30 N spied before reveal early next year

16 Oct 2019
Visit/toyota/201837/next-generation-toyota-mirai-revealed-as-hydrogen-flagship
Toyota

Next generation Toyota Mirai revealed as hydrogen flagship

11 Oct 2019
Advertisement

Most Popular

Visit/porsche/cayman-gt4/201845/porsche-unveils-limited-run-718-cayman-gt4-sports-cup-edition
Porsche Cayman GT4 coupe

Porsche unveils limited-run 718 Cayman GT4 Sports Cup Edition

Special marks the 15th anniversary of ‘Porsche Sports Cup Germany’ race series
14 Oct 2019
Visit/porsche/porsche-taycan/201843/porsche-taycan-4s-revealed-with-up-to-563bhp
Porsche Taycan

Porsche Taycan 4S revealed with up to 563bhp

The mid-range Porsche Taycan 4S expands the brand’s all-electric saloon line-up
14 Oct 2019
Visit/bmw/201850/bmw-design-and-the-sorry-slide-from-quiet-confidence-to-muddled-mediocrity
BMW

'The sorry slide from quiet confidence to muddled mediocrity'

It's contagious. And when you catch it, it's game over. Suddenly you've no idea what's right and good any more
15 Oct 2019
Visit/news/201740/goodyear-eagle-f1-supersport-the-best-by-design
Advertisement Feature

Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperSport: the best by design

That the new Eagle F1 SuperSport range of Ultra Ultra High Performance tyres is taking the trackday market by storm shouldn’t be a surprise – it’s sim…
11 Sep 2019