Mercedes-Benz A-class review - does facelift bring the fight back to rivals? - Mercedes-Benz A-class design
A conventional hatch now, the A-class fights hard in the premium hatchback class
There's no doubting that the A-class is one of the most interestingly styled cars since Mercedes-Benz introduced its CLS and it has gone on to spawn a whole range of spin-offs from the GLA crossover to the four-door CLA coupe and CLA Shooting Brake.
A revised exterior in 2015 sees the rear end of the A-class tidied up. Exhausts are now incorporated into the rear bumper, while the front of the car features a new diamond grille and optional LED performance headlamps. Rear LED brakelights have also been redesigned.
From the large front grille and its prominent three-pointed star badge, to the neat tail it’s an athletic and distinctive looking car. It loses something on the smallest alloy wheels, in most basic SE and Sport levels, and in the darkest colours, but choose any of the AMG trim choices and the A-class will turn more heads than any A3 or 1-series.
In this review
- 1Mercedes-Benz A-class review - does facelift bring the fight back to rivals?
- 2Mercedes-Benz A-class performance and 0-60mph time
- 3Mercedes-Benz A-class engine and gearbox
- 4Mercedes-Benz A-class ride and handling
- 5Mercedes-Benz A-class MPG and running costs
- 6Mercedes-Benz A-class interior and tech
- 7Mercedes-Benz A-class design - currently reading