Mercedes AMG GT vs Porsche 911 and rivals - 5 AMG GT rivals: what do we think?
Ultimately, this list shows that the market is filled with very different sports cars. You have the dramatic Jaguar F-type Coupe R, the subtle but rapid BMW M6, the practical yet sharp as ever Audi R8 and surprisingly strong Chevrolet Corvette that undercuts the lot with its list price. Oh, and the fantastic handling Porsche 911.
For the Mercedes AMG GT to really make a mark, it’ll have to offer something different to them all, but undoubtedly borrow influence from the strongest contenders. That means it’ll have to be usable day-to-day, it’ll have to be fast (obviously), comfortable and posses character.
There’s certainly good potential for the AMG GT to do all of that. Merc has quite a bit of experience in building comfy cars and day-to-day usability often comes hand in hand with that. It also knows how to build characterful engines – who can forget the 6.2-litre V8 in the C63 AMG? – so the twin-turbo 4-litre V8 should hopefully retain a throaty German burble when mounted up front in the AMG GT.
With as much as 503bhp and a 3.8sec dash from 0-62mph in GT S spec, the AMG GT is amongst the very fastest in this group. Priced around £100,000, it sits snugly in the middle of the field once options boxes are ticked, and mixes Merc’s latest design language with lines of its classic sports cars.
We expect it to be very capable indeed. What would you choose? And have we missed any cars off this list? Let us know in the comments below…
- 1Mercedes AMG GT: how does it fare?
- 2Mercedes AMG GT vs Porsche 911 and rivals - 5 AMG GT rivals: Porsche 911
- 3Mercedes AMG GT vs Porsche 911 and rivals - 5 AMG GT rivals: Jaguar F-type Coupe R
- 4Mercedes AMG GT vs Porsche 911 and rivals - 5 AMG GT rivals: Chevrolet Corvette
- 5Mercedes AMG GT vs Porsche 911 and rivals - 5 AMG GT rivals: BMW M6
- 6Mercedes AMG GT vs Porsche 911 and rivals - 5 AMG GT rivals: Audi R8
- 7Mercedes AMG GT vs Porsche 911 and rivals - 5 AMG GT rivals: what do we think? - currently reading