2019 Jaguar XE SV Project 8 review – performance and 0-60 time
Jaguar's XE SV Project 8 takes a rather extreme approach to the supersaloon recipe than most, but has an equally extreme price tag to match
Project 8 overcomes its weight to post a 3.3-second 0-62mph time and, in Track spec, a 200mph top speed. Touring models are equally capable off the line, but without the downforce provided by that rear wing, top speed has been limited to 186mph – still rapid, obviously, but not quite so headline-grabbing.
The manner of the car’s performance is more important than the sheer numbers, though, and we can confirm it feels blisteringly fast. You’re conscious of piloting a large, heavy object, so the Project 8’s acceleration has that slightly unhinged, physics-defying feeling of all big, heavy cars that overcome their mass through traction and sheer grunt.
Jaguar’s V8 has never sounded better, either. Supercharger whine has largely been consigned to the history books – it’s still there, but no longer so audible – but the Jag’s exhaust note hits with the consistency, volume and heart-stopping power of artillery fire. Throttle response is keen right from the off, and acceleration doesn’t abate, from the first few revs above tickover, all the way to the red line.
Project 8’s brakes are more than up to the task of dragging circa 1.8 tons back down to sensible velocities, but a little more pedal feel wouldn’t go amiss, just for some extra reassurance.
In this review
- 1Jaguar XE SV Project 8 review
- 22019 Jaguar XE SV Project 8 review – engine, transmission and technical details
- 32019 Jaguar XE SV Project 8 review – performance and 0-60 time - currently reading
- 42019 Jaguar XE SV Project 8 review – ride and handling
- 52019 Jaguar XE SV Project 8 review – MPG and running costs
- 62019 Jaguar XE SV Project 8 review – interior and tech
- 72019 Jaguar XE SV Project 8 review – design